We are delighted to invite you to the forthcoming international conference Social Education and Social Pedagogy: Here and Now. The 3-day conference is jointly hosted by the University of Central Lancashire, the Social Pedagogy Association, ThemPra Social Pedagogy, and Arizona State University at UCLan’s campus in Preston from 16 to 18 June. We hope to see many of you there.
With this conference we hope to create a uniquely interactive experience for all delegates, with a wide range of speakers, interactive workshops, Open Space forum, and a more general poster presentation area for those not wanting to give a full presentation. This conference is part of an international initiative supported by a wide range of national associations to bring together scholars and practitioners of social pedagogy, social education and related professions from around the world. It builds on many previous efforts, most recently the Puebla 2018 conference Social Education and Social Pedagogy: Bridging Traditions and Innovations, which represented a wide variety of topics reflecting many of the diverse areas encompassed by social pedagogical research and practice.
In Preston, we will focus on similar connections between social education and social pedagogy and how we can form alliances to take forward our collective aspirations for a better world. The conference provides an opportunity to reflect on some of the most pressing social issues, allowing us to address these concerns meaningfully and proactively lead social change. By connecting with delegates from across the globe, we will be able to explore solutions for challenges in sustainability, inequality, global violence, participatory democracy and more.
As part of this, the programme will include:
- Keynote presentation by Arto Salonen (University of Eastern Finland) on planetary social pedagogy and an eco-social approach to education;
- Keynote presentation by Lotte Harbo (VIA University College Aarhus) on social pedagogy, evidence-based manuals and gut feeling – responding meaningfully to complex practice situations;
- Plenary discussion forum on the relationship between social pedagogy and social work from a global perspective, with Xavier Úcar (Autonomous University of Barcelona), Karla Villaseñor Palma (Autonomous University of Puebla), Daniel Schugurensky (Arizona State University), Onno Husen (Leuphana University Lüneburg), and Gabriel Eichsteller (ThemPra Social Pedagogy);
- Open Space Forum to explore the themes that matter to you, learning from delegates around the world;
- Interactive workshops, formal presentations and roundtable discussions on a variety of social pedagogical and social educational themes;
- Marketplace with poster presentations and networking opportunities;
- And a few engaging group learning activities to help you make new connections.
There is still time to contribute to the programme. Submissions may include paper presentations, roundtable conversations, poster presentations or workshop proposals. Workshops must offer attendees active participation through acquisition of a new skill or through responsible engagement of participants in discussion and problem- solving.
All proposals should be submitted via this Google form by the 14th of February, 2020. We will notify you of acceptance before the end of March.
In addition to being considered for inclusion in the conference, papers on issues around migration will have the opportunity to submit to the forthcoming special issue of the International Journal of Social Pedagogy (see here).
Registration and costs
Registration is now open, and you can book your place online at www.socialpedagogy.org/registration.
Conference fee: £125 (early bird rate until 31 March, 2020)
£150 (full rate from 1 April, 2020)
For further details about the conference please visit www.socialpedagogy.org/general-information or contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading: Preston 2020/Inquiry. We will provide you with details around travel to Preston, accommodation, and everything else you need to know once you’ve secured your place.